“I received free samples of Wonderful Pistachios mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Wonderful Pistachios and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.” #ad #sponsor #getcrackin
Happy Superbowl Sunday! The Northeast is definitely abuzz with all this game day excitement. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of football, but I’m definitely a big supporter of game-day food. Burgers, wings, fries, dips, chips… oh, so yummy… oh, so not good for my diet.
Portion control is challenging with all the finger foods, and grease content is through the roof. Entering saturated fat city, next stop dehydration! But game day should not be about counting calories. It should focus on having fun with friends, and enjoying the sport. How do I propose we get there?
All aboard the Wonderful Pistachio train!
Where am I going with this? Well, readers, I created a chicken tenders recipe that’s better-for-you, yet meets the football finger food criteria. My secret? Wonderful Pistachios. Here’s why-
- Pistachios are known as The Fit Nut™ because they are one of the highest protein and fiber snack nuts that are part of a heart-healthy lifestyle. Scientific evidence suggests (but does not prove) that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as pistachios, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Pistachios are also known as The Colorful Nut™ that help you snack colorfully- pistachios’ green and red-purple hues come from antioxidants.
- Pistachios are known as The Skinny Nut™ because they are one of the lowest calorie and lowest fat snack nuts.
- Pistachios are The Happy Nut™ because you don’t have to “snackrifice!”
Bonus Health Tip- I’m also going to suggest that you serve some in-shell pistachios at your parties. Known as The Mindful Nut™, they may help you “fool yourself full” because the leftover shells may provide a visual cue for portions, potentially helping to curb intake.
My delicious chicken tenders are coated in Wonderful Pistachios. They’re a game changer for game day. Seriously, who knew that pistachios would make an awesome chicken tender crust?! This wonderful Pistachio Crusted Chicken Tenders recipe will surely be a touchdown for your super bowl party. No need to “fumble” your diet today.
Pistachio Crusted Chicken Tenders
- 4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- Black pepper as needed
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 cup lightly salted Wonderful Pistachios
- 2 Tbsp Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Make the crust- place the Wonderful Pistachios, Montreal chicken seasoning, parsley, and oats in a food processor or blender. Crush them into a fine powder.
- Set up a station containing three bowls. Place the whole wheat flour and black pepper in one bowl. Place the milk in a separate bowl. Place the crust mixture into a third bowl.
- Clean the fat off of the chicken tenders. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take one chicken tender and coat it in the whole wheat flour mixture. Then dip the chicken tender into the milk. Then coat the chicken tender in the crust mixture. Place the chicken tender on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken tenders are coated.
- Bake the chicken tenders for 25 minutes, or until cooked through with a minimal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove them from the oven, and let them cool for 2 minutes. Serve with a side of in-shell Wonderful pistachios, and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts: Serving of 3 chicken tenders
Total Calories: 486 Calories from Saturated Fat: 28 Protein: 60 g Carbohydrates: 23 g Dietary Fiber: 5 g Total Sugars: 4 g Added Sugars: 0 g Total Fat: 17 g Monounsaturated Fat: 8 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g Cholesterol: 141 mg Sodium: 192 mg Calcium: 104 mg: Potassium: 798 mg: Iron: 4 mg
Food groups: 7 1/2 oz protein, 1 1/2 oz nuts/seeds, 1 tsp oils, 1 oz whole grains