“I received free samples of POM Wonderful mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by POM Wonderful and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.” #ad #sponsor
Happy new year, my lovely readers (and long time, no see)! I’m sorry I’ve been missing-in-action over the last couple of months. Life got in the way of my blogging, but my resolution for 2018 is to make more time for myself. I recently evaluated what’s important to me, and being able to provide recipes for all of you is definitely something I can’t go without. So I’m back, and the best is yet to come. I can taste it!
Speaking of taste, today’s recipe is deliciously tart, and full of nutritious ingredients. You’ve got a whole gamut of vitamins and minerals in this one, simple snack. Want to know my favorite secret of them all? POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice!
Here are some interesting facts you need to know about this nutritious juice:
- POM Wonderful 100% Juice is powered by antioxidants from two whole pomegranates, which are found in each 8 oz bottle.
- Research that includes POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice uses 8 oz per day in its studies on muscle strength/recovery, memory and cognition, the gut microbiome, and more.
- POM Wonderful 100% Juice is a good source of potassium. Each 8 oz bottle contains as much as a medium banana.
I’m sure many of you are looking to get a crazy, healthy start to this new year, and pomegranate juice is the ticket to your success. It’s a perfect post-workout choice. POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice is powered by unique polyphenols that early research suggests have promising results for post-workout muscle strength recovery. Certain types of polyphenol antioxidants, like those found in pomegranate juice, may help increase nitric oxide bioavailability by protecting it from breaking down in the body. Nitric oxide helps your body get the oxygen and nutrients it needs during exercise! (Please note that, although the research reported is promising, additional clinical research is needed to establish causation and the potential impact of pomegranate polyphenols and exercise).
After today’s workout, I chose to make a Pomegranate Cranberry Salsa.
I sweated out all of those electrolytes, and this girl needs some replenishment! This isn’t your average salsa. It’s chock-full of antioxidants, thanks to POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice. Fuel your body the right way with my crazy, healthy homemade Pomegranate Cranberry Salsa.
Pomegranate Cranberry Salsa
- For the salsa
- 12 oz. fresh cranberries
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large green apple
- 2/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 to 1 cup pomegranate molasses (recipe below)
- 1 thinly sliced fresh jalapeno (seeds removed)
- 1/3 tsp dried orange peel
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley
- Juice from 1 to 2 halos mandarin oranges
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with low-fat corn chips For the pomegranate molasses32 oz POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh halo orange juice
- Make the pomegranate molasses. In a medium saucepan, combine the halo juice and POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice. Heat on medium until it starts to boil. Reduce to medium-low, and let the juice simmer on the stove until it reduces to 1 to 2 cups (about 1 hour). Let it cool for 30 minutes, then refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- The Baking Tour Guide’s Recipe Tip- To get the cranberries nice and soft, coat them in 2 Tbsp of olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Leave the cranberries in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until they soften and start leaking a bit of juice. Remove the cranberries from the oven, and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Chop the apple and parsley, and slice the jalapeno, removing all the seeds.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients (the olive oil was already used during the baking process). Pour the pomegranate molasses into the recipe last, using as much as desired to get your favorite salsa consistency (likely between 1/2 cup and 1 cup).
- Smash the ingredients together with a pastry blender or fork, giving the salsa a more finished look.
- Serve as desired, or place it in the fridge for no more than 3 days.
- Enjoy your post-workout snack with a side of local, low-fat tortilla chips.
Leave a Reply