I started a new job a couple of months ago, and found out that a bunch of people in my team have June birthdays (seriously, three people have a birthday this week alone). Many members of my family also celebrate June birthdays. We’re halfway through the year, so I guess it’s time to party! Therefore, be expecting a few cake recipes on the blog this month.
With all these birthdays coming up, you can bet that I’m going to gain a few pounds… June is like the holiday season for me, but it’s even worse because I love cake. I decided to start off this first round of June birthday cakes with a healthier version of dessert. A dairy-free, vegan recipe that is sure to make your taste buds sing. Kicking off this cake-tastic June is my newly-invented Super Soft Spice Cake.
This cake is full of warm flavors that remind me of those summer months ahead. As a fun tip (and this could be seriously ingenious or made-up), I think filling any dish with spices is a good way to eliminate salt or sugar. Hear me out. When you think of cinnamon, what comes to mind? Pancakes, cinnamon rolls, French toast, crumb cake, pudding… Your mind starts associating cinnamon with sweet flavors.
Did I become a psychologist or something?
Just kidding. Certain flavors really do have the ability to trick our pallets, and our minds. You can even find this miracle fruit berry that, when eaten, makes sour foods taste sweet! Food is amazing.
Speaking of amazing, I better give you the recipe to this cake. It’s something special!
Super Soft Spice Cake
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups applesauce (I used sweetened)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp dried orange peel (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and ¾ cup raisins. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the applesauce, honey, vanilla extract, and olive oil. Make sure the olive oil is fully incorporated into the wet ingredients. This will take about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the baking soda, flour, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and optional orange peel.
- Combine the wet ingredients from the medium bowl into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Drain the water from the raisins, and pat them dry. Add them to the batter. Stir until just incorporated.
- Grease a 9 x 9 inch cake pan or springform pan. Add parchment paper to the bottom of it. Pour the batter into the pan. Place it in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out cleanly from the center.
- Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Slice, and enjoy!
*Based off of the USDA Nutrient Database
Serving size: 1 slice of cake
Calories 185 Total fat 3 g Saturated Fat 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg Sodium 53 mg Total Carbohydrates 15 g Dietary Fiber <1 g Sugars 6 g Protein 1 g Potassium 50 mg Vitamin D 0 mcg Calcium 0% Iron 3%