**Please note- I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe, I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra. I am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
#ad #sponsor #nofollow
May 13, 2017 is National Hummus Day! It’s time to celebrate hummus in all its glory by using it as an ingredient for everything I make this week. Seriously, my husband and I are in hummus overdrive right now. (But we couldn’t be happier).
Hummus is a wonderful plant-based protein made from chick peas. Hummus contains about 1 gram of protein per tablespoon, as well as a hefty amount of healthy fats. Having hummus in your diet can keep you feeling fuller for longer, which leads to less snacking and better nutrition overall. To obtain these benefits, skip your average dip and head straight for the hummus aisle.
I’ve eaten hummus in many ways. I’ve had it on its own, as a dip, and as a spread, but I’ve never baked with it. Baking, with hummus? You got it. I challenged myself to create this recipe of perfection:
Spicy Vegan Hummus Cornbread.
Why cornbread? Mainly because I’ve had a HUGE craving for it over the past couple of weeks. I didn’t want to make your average cornbread, so I kept putting it off until I found some inspiration. Now that National Hummus Day is on its way, I decided to use hummus as my star ingredient.
Hummus is the show-stopper in this cornbread. I used it as a vegan substitute for both eggs and buttermilk. I was totally surprised at how soft my cornbread came out! The hummus gave my cornbread lots of flavor, added protein, and an amazing texture.
The Sabra Hummus company is joining in on National Hummus Day, of course, so I decided to make a spicy, savory cornbread recipe using two of their hummus flavors- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, and Supremely Spicy Hummus. I wanted my cornbread to have the flavor of peppers, with a little kick! Visit their website at www.sabra.com for more information about their yummy hummus flavors.
This cornbread is a fabulous vegan-friendly appetizer for your Southern-themed meal, or the perfect nighttime snack for the kiddos. No matter how you eat this cornbread, just remember those awesome hummus flavors you used to make it. Wishing you, in advance, a very happy National Hummus Day!
Spicy Vegan Hummus Cornbread
- 1/2 cup dairy-free butter alternative
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper (I used 1 tsp because I love spicy food)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Sabra’s Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1/2 cup Sabra’s Supremely Spicy Hummus
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan. Set it aside for now.
- In a large bowl, beat the dairy-free butter alternative and sugar together until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients (corn meal, flour, baking soda, and cayenne pepper). Stir them together.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, combine the wet ingredients (water and hummus). Stir them together until the hummus is no longer clumpy, and blends itself into the water.
- Pour 1/3 of the dry mixture into the large bowl. Stir until it’s just mixed. Then add 1/3 of the wet mixture. Stir until it’s just mixed. Repeat until all the dry and wet ingredients are added to the batter.
- Stir in the corn kernels, but do not over-mix the batter. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake the cornbread in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before you cut into it.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts for 1 Slice
*Based on the USDA Nutrient Database and products used.*
Calories 190 Total Fat 6 g Saturated Fat 1 g Cholesterol 0 mg Sodium 117 mg (5%) Total Carbohydrates 32 g Dietary Fiber 2.5 g Sugars 6 g Protein 3 g
What a creative idea to do a mash-up of cornbread with hummus – two foods I love 🙂
Thanks so much, Deanna! I had so much fun making this recipe, and it’s super simple. Definitely a hit in the household this week!
I have never seen hummus cornbread before! This is brilliant! I love that you used the spicy hummus – it’s my favorite. 🙂
Thank you so much! I really wanted to make cornbread, so I thought, why not add hummus to it? I was pleasantly surprised at how well it came out. (I love the spicy flavor too).
Woah, yum! I agree with the other ladies, I would have never thought to make cornbread using hummus! mmmm.
Thank you! It was a pretty adventurous move, but it all worked out in the end.
Fantastic recipe idea! Just whipped up a batch with my homemade hummus. It’s still in the oven. Can’t wait to try it!
I hope you enjoyed it!