It’s been a while since my last post, but with good reason. This was the best summer of my life. Want to know why?
I got married!
My husband and I (that’s so fun to say) had the most magical wedding. Everything we ever dreamed about came true. We made a lot of the wedding pieces ourselves, so I’ll be sure to post some pictures on the wedding page. It will take me some time to play catch-up with all the items I need to post, but you can be sure that everything will be loaded to this blog in due time.
For now, I’m going to provide you with a very simple post, about a very simple muffin. My banana oatmeal raisin muffins are a healthy morning option, with all the flavor and moisture of a decadent breakfast.
I’m sure you’ve noticed from the title of this post that my muffins are “vegan” and “gluten-free.”
This muffin contains no animal products… almost. It has bananas and raisins for sweetness, as well as honey. Honey, according to the most devout vegans, is actually not an acceptable food in their diets. This is because bees produce honey, and vegans are concerned with the welfare of those bees. Therefore, this muffin is almost vegan.
There is no flour in this muffin, which means there is little concern for gluten (wheat protein). The muffin is held together by oats. Oats are naturally gluten-free, but they are usually manufactured in facilities that contain flour. With all those flour particles floating in the air, it’s almost impossible to guarantee that oats are gluten-free. I didn’t use gluten-free oats for this recipe, so therefore these muffins are almost gluten-free.
If you want to make this recipe into a completely vegan and gluten-free dish, use molasses instead of honey, and buy gluten-free oats.
Looking to take on a vegan or gluten-free lifestyle? Then these muffins may be the perfect starting point for you. The making of this recipe requires little effort, but it gives incredible results. Be sure to savor them while they last (which won’t be for long)!
Almost Vegan, Gluten-Free Banana Oatmeal Raisin Muffins
- 4 ripe medium bananas
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup raisins (soaked)
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the raisins in a small bowl. Add about twice the amount of water to the bowl as there are raisins. Set the bowl aside.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the bananas until completely smooth.
- Add the honey and oil. Mix the ingredients together for about 20 seconds. Add the vanilla extract, and mix for 10 seconds.1 tsp baking soda.
- Add the oats. Pulse the ingredients together until the oats have just incorporated themselves into the batter.1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Mix the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon into the batter.2 cups old fashioned oats.
- Drain the raisins, pat them to dry, and mix them into the batter.pinch of salt.
- Grease a muffin tin. Scoop the batter into the muffin tin until it’s 3/4 full in each section. Place the muffins in the oven for 10 to 14 minutes. Mine came out perfectly after 12 minutes, but everyone’s oven is different.1/2 cup raisins (soaked).
- Take the muffins out of the oven, and place them on a cooling rack. Let them sit for 10 minutes, eat, and enjoy.